If you wish to report an adverse event or product complaint, please call 1-800-LILLYRX (1-800-545-5979)
Baqsimi ® (glucagon) nasal powder
This information is provided in response to your request. Resources may contain information about doses, uses, formulations and populations different from product labeling. See Prescribing Information above, if applicable.
What is the frequency of severe hypoglycemia in people with type 1 diabetes?
The mean incidence of severe hypoglycemia events in people with type 1 diabetes using insulin was approximately 1.5 events/person/year.
Hypoglycemia Events in People With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
Frier et al published a review that evaluated various published cohorts of people with type 1 diabetes and the frequency of severe hypoglycemia.1
This review included 10 published studies in people with type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) that
- were both prospective and retrospective in design
- evaluated between 100 and 3813 people
- were older than 14 years of age
- had a duration of follow-up between 1 week and 19 months
- had reported mean glycated hemoglobin values of 7.3% to 10.7%
- had severe hypoglycemia defined as the need for third party assistance or glucagon/intravenous glucose, and
- had various insulin regimens with the majority ranging from twice daily injections to 4 or more injections daily or continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion.1
Using data from a variety of published cohorts summarized in the review by Frier et al, the mean incidence of severe hypoglycemia events in people with T1DM using insulin was approximately 1.5 events/person/year (range, 0.2-3.2 events/person/year).1
Using data from a variety of published cohorts summarized in the review by Frier et al, the prevalence of severe hypoglycemia events in people with T1DM using insulin was approximately 29% (range, 3%-46%).1
Enclosed Prescribing Information
The published reference below is available by contacting 1-800-LillyRx (1-800-545-5979).
1Frier BM. Hypoglycaemia in diabetes mellitus: epidemiology and clinical implications. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2014;10(12):711-722. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nrendo.2014.170
Date of Last Review: October 06, 2021