If you wish to report an adverse event or product complaint, please call 1-800-LILLYRX(1-800-545-5979)
This information is provided in response to your request. Resources may contain information about doses, uses, formulations and populations different from product labeling. See Prescribing Information above, if applicable.
What are the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of Humulin® R U-500 (insulin human injection)?
The time action characteristics of Humulin R U-500 (insulin human injection) reflect both prandial and basal activity and are attributed to the high concentration.
Humulin® R U-500 (insulin human injection) 500 units/mL (U-500R) formulation is available
- as a sterile, aqueous, and colorless solution
- in a concentration of 500 units/mL, and
- for subcutaneous injection only.1
The time action characteristics reflect both prandial and basal activity, consistent with clinical experience. This effect has been attributed to the high concentration of U-500R.1
The time course of action of U-500R, as with any insulin, may vary
- in different individuals, or
- at different times in the same individual.1
In a euglycemic clamp study of 24 healthy obese subjects with a body mass index of 30 to 39 kg/m2, single doses of subcutaneously administered U-500R at 50 units (0.4-0.6 unit/kg) and 100 units (0.8-1.3 unit/kg) resulted in a
- mean time of onset of action <15 minutes at both doses
- mean duration of action of 21 hours with a range of 13 to 24 hours, and
- median peak insulin concentration occurring between 4 hours (50-unit dose) and 8 hours (100‑unit dose) with a range of 0.5 to 8 hours.1
After subcutaneous administration of single doses of 50 and 100 units of U-500R to healthy obese subjects (N≥21), the mean apparent half-life was approximately 4.5 hours with a range of 1.9 to 10 hours.1
Enclosed Prescribing Information
1Humulin R U-500 [package insert]. Indianapolis, IN: Eli Lilly and Company; 2019.
Date of Last Review: October 22, 2021