If you wish to report an adverse event or product complaint, please call 1-800-LILLYRX (1-800-545-5979)
This information is provided in response to your request. Resources may contain information about doses, uses, formulations and populations different from product labeling. See Prescribing Information above, if applicable.
Safety concerns associated with temporary interruption or abrupt discontinuation of teriparatide therapy have not been identified.
Lilly has not identified any safety concerns, including adverse reactions or side effects, associated with temporary interruption or withdrawal of teriparatide therapy during our clinical studies or follow-up analyses.1-6
It is not known how stopping and starting teriparatide affects how it works as teriparatide was studied as a once-daily injection without interruptions for 24 months.7
Enclosed Prescribing Information
1. Neer RM, Arnaud CD, Zanchetta JR, et al. Effect of parathyroid hormone (1-34) on fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 2001;344(19):1434-1441. http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/nejm200105103441904
2. Orwoll ES, Scheele WH, Paul S, et al. The effect of teriparatide [human parathyroid hormone (1-34)] therapy on bone density in men with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res. 2003;18(1):9-17. http://dx.doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.2003.18.1.9
3. Lindsay R, Scheele WH, Neer R, et al. Sustained vertebral fracture risk reduction after withdrawal of teriparatide in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. Arch Intern Med. 2004;164(18):2024-2030. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archinte.164.18.2024
4. Saag KG, Shane E, Boonen S, et al. Teriparatide or alendronate in glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(20):2028-2039. http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa071408
5. Silverman S, Miller P, Sebba A, et al. The direct assessment of nonvertebral fractures in community experience (DANCE) study: 2-year nonvertebral fragility fracture results. Osteoporos Int. 2013;24(8):2309-2317. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00198-013-2284-y
6. Saag KG, Zanchetta JR, Devogelaer JP, et al. Effects of teriparatide versus alendronate for treating glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: thirty-six-month results of a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60(11):3346-3355. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.24879
Lilly = Eli Lilly and Company
Date of Last Review: November 11, 2019