If you wish to report an adverse event or product complaint, please call 1-800-LILLYRX (1-800-545-5979)
Forteo ® (teriparatide injection)
20-mcg daily dose in a 2.4-mL prefilled delivery device
This information is provided in response to your request. Resources may contain information about doses, uses, formulations and populations different from product labeling. See Prescribing Information above, if applicable.
FORTEO® (teriparatide injection): Approval and Indications
FORTEO (teriparatide) is indicated for osteoporosis treatment in postmenopausal women, increased bone mass in men with primary or hypogonadal osteoporosis, and glucocorticoid induced osteoporosis.
What Are Teriparatide's Indications?
Teriparatide was approved by the FDA on November 26, 2002.
Teriparatide is indicated for
- the treatment of postmenopausal women with osteoporosis at high risk for fracture
- increase of bone mass in men with primary or hypogonadal osteoporosis at high risk for fracture, and
- treatment of men and women with osteoporosis associated with sustained systemic glucocorticoid therapy at high risk for fracture.
Regarding teriparatide’s indication for treatment of postmenopausal women with osteoporosis at high risk for fracture, high risk for fracture is defined as
- a history of osteoporotic fracture
- multiple risk factors for fracture, or
- patients who have failed or are intolerant to other available osteoporosis therapy.
In postmenopausal women with osteoporosis, teriparatide reduces the risk of vertebral and nonvertebral fractures.
Enclosed Prescribing Information
Date of Last Review: August 13, 2020